Rock climbing courses in Northumberland and the Lake District
Whether you want to learn to climb outdoors, start leading trad climbs outdoors or have a fun adventure multi-pitch climbing then Climb GB can help with a range of rock climbing courses for all abilities in Northumberland and Cumbria.
Beginner outdoor climbing sessions in Northumberland:
These are sessions designed for people who have no previous experience of climbing outdoors and are just looking to try rock climbing for the very first time in Northumberland. They are run at East Woodburn Crag, which is easily accessible from Newcastle upon Tyne and Hexham in North East England.
Learn to lead outdoor trad climbing in Northumberland:
Learn all the essential skills you need to trad climb on most single pitch crags in Northumberland and elsewhere in Britain. These courses are designed to take you from an indoor climber to an independent outdoor climber - sometimes called a "wall to rock" course. Gain the confidence to lead trad climbs outdoors in a safe and efficient manner and most importantly have lots of fun whilst doing it!
Rescues and multi-pitch climbing courses:
Suitable for climbers with extensive experience of single pitch trad climbing, the improvised rescues and multi-pitch climbing courses take place in Northumberland, North East England and the Lake District, Cumbria, North West England, respectively. These courses give you the skills and the confidence to truly explore the very best that climbing has to offer.
Rock climbing course venues and meeting places:
Customer reviews of Climb GB courses:
Although we were all very nervous you put us at ease and provided us with a lot of encouragement to successfully summit Scafell Pike. We had been wanting to climb it for years and are already looking forward to going next year again.
Frequently asked questions:
- Do you provide food?
We don't provide food on courses, however just let us know if you need help finding the local supermarket or need any advice on what food to bring with you.
- Do you provide accommodation?
We don't provide accommodation for courses, however just let us know if you need help finding accommodation and we'll be happy to provide assistance.
- What happens if the weather is bad?
Outdoor activities can be affected by the weather, please ensure that you are appropriately equipped (you will be sent an equipment list prior to your course).
Climb GB has many years of experience of providing outdoor activities and through this experience has developed the following procedure:
- Always turn up for your session; although weather forecasts are increasingly accurate, we often find that localised variations in the weather mean that courses can still be run despite a poor forecast.
- Climb GB has significant experience at the venues used, this means we can tailor a session around the weather on the day of your course, for example this may mean:
- On climbing or bouldering courses: we know where there will be dry rock or routes which are climbable in the rain or provide shelter.
- On navigation, hill walking or scrambling courses: using the latest forecasts we can tailor the route e.g. avoiding high winds by walking a route clockwise / anti-clockwise depending on the prevailing conditions (i.e. windy in the morning / afternoon).
- On winter courses: where the best snow will be and how to access it quickly.
If the weather prevents the course aims from being achieved we will provide the following alternatives:
- A rescheduling of the course or a full refund of the course cost itself.
- Alternatively we may be able to begin the course and then ‘pause’ the session allowing you to resume the course at a later date, e.g. 3 hours in to a 6 hour climbing session meaning you could return at a later date to complete the rest of the session.
These decisions will be made ensuring customers are kept fully informed.
- Are you insured?
Public liability insurance:
- Climb GB holds public liability insurance for the activities we are providing, please email if you would like to see a copy of this insurance document.
- This provides cover in the event of an accident where Climb GB is shown to be negligent (please see below for additional insurance).
- We advise that you arrange your own personal travel insurance which covers you for the activities you are participating in.
- Climb GB cannot be held responsible for any damage to your personal property whilst attending a course, this includes but is not limited to:
- Vehicles, smartphones, clothing, jewellery.
- Please ensure you are appropriately insured (see above).
- Even if you don't decide to book a course with Climb GB it is always worth asking to see if the person you are booking with has appropriate insurance cover; so never feel afraid to ask - any professional instructor providing adventure activities should be more than happy to provide evidence of their liability insurance.
- Are you qualified?
Yes, we are qualified for the activities we are providing, this is as follows:
- Climbing, bouldering and scrambling courses; we are fully qualified Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor (MCI) award holders and full members of the Association of Mountaineering Instructors (AMI).
- Navigation and hill walking courses; we are fully qualified summer Mountain Leader (ML) award holders and full members of Mountain Training (MT).
- Winter courses; we are fully qualified winter Mountain Leader (MLW) award holders and full members of Mountain Training (MT).
- Even if you don't decide to book a course with Climb GB it is always worth asking to see if the person you are booking with is appropriately qualified; so never feel afraid to ask - any professional instructor providing adventure activities should be more than happy to provide evidence of their qualifications.
- Is there a minimum or maximum age?
We don't have a specific maximum or minimum age on any courses, however some courses are more suitable than others for people of differing ages and abilities. Please check with us if you are in any doubt about whether a course will be suitable.
We have had an 86 and 84 year old couple on courses before so age really shouldn't be the limiting factor!
We do require a parent or guardian attends sessions with under 18 year olds - although the parent or guardian does not have to actively participate in the session.
- Are courses suitable for people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities?
Just let us know in advance and we can tailor courses to individual needs.
Please check with us if you are in any doubt about whether a course will be suitable.
- Do you provide equipment?
We do not provide personal clothing or footwear however we do provide the specialist equipment required on each activity.
To see exactly what you will need to bring with and what Climb GB will provide then please see the equipment list for your respective course - listed under course essentials on every course.
- Do you provide transport?
We try to meet in locations where public transport is easily accessible, however if you are not able to reach the location then please get in touch as we are often able to provide local pick up from train stations etc.