Hill walking courses in the Cheviots and the Lake District
If you want to start fell walking, explore the wilderness of the hills or are looking for more adventure than your normal country walk then Climb GB can help with a range of hill walking courses for all abilities in the Cheviots, Northumberland, North East England and the Lake District, Cumbria, North West England.
Introduction to hill walking courses:
Try hill walking for the very first time with our introduction to hill walking courses in the Cheviots, Northumberland, North East England and the Lake District, Cumbria, North West England. Suitable for beginners with no previous hill walking experience; you will have a fun day out hill walking and learn a few skills along the way.
Essential skills for hill walking and guided hill walking in the Lake District:
Learn the hill walking essential skills for an enjoyable and safe adventure whilst hill walking in the Lake District. Or if you'd prefer to have a guided hill walking experience then select from our range of guided hill walking days in the Lake District.
Hill walking course venues and meeting places:
Customer reviews of Climb GB courses:
Excellent course, well structured and well organised. Tom was very professional and inspired high standards of safety without loosing any of the enjoyment. Highly recommended.
- Do you provide food?
We don't provide food on courses, however just let us know if you need help finding the local supermarket or need any advice on what food to bring with you.
- Do you provide accommodation?
We don't provide accommodation for courses, however just let us know if you need help finding accommodation and we'll be happy to provide assistance.
- What happens if the weather is bad?
Outdoor activities can be affected by the weather, please ensure that you are appropriately equipped (you will be sent an equipment list prior to your course).
Climb GB has many years of experience of providing outdoor activities and through this experience has developed the following procedure:
- Always turn up for your session; although weather forecasts are increasingly accurate, we often find that localised variations in the weather mean that courses can still be run despite a poor forecast.
- Climb GB has significant experience at the venues used, this means we can tailor a session around the weather on the day of your course, for example this may mean:
- On climbing or bouldering courses: we know where there will be dry rock or routes which are climbable in the rain or provide shelter.
- On navigation, hill walking or scrambling courses: using the latest forecasts we can tailor the route e.g. avoiding high winds by walking a route clockwise / anti-clockwise depending on the prevailing conditions (i.e. windy in the morning / afternoon).
- On winter courses: where the best snow will be and how to access it quickly.
If the weather prevents the course aims from being achieved we will provide the following alternatives:
- A rescheduling of the course or a full refund of the course cost itself.
- Alternatively we may be able to begin the course and then ‘pause’ the session allowing you to resume the course at a later date, e.g. 3 hours in to a 6 hour climbing session meaning you could return at a later date to complete the rest of the session.
These decisions will be made ensuring customers are kept fully informed.
- Are you insured?
Public liability insurance:
- Climb GB holds public liability insurance for the activities we are providing, please email if you would like to see a copy of this insurance document.
- This provides cover in the event of an accident where Climb GB is shown to be negligent (please see below for additional insurance).
- We advise that you arrange your own personal travel insurance which covers you for the activities you are participating in.
- Climb GB cannot be held responsible for any damage to your personal property whilst attending a course, this includes but is not limited to:
- Vehicles, smartphones, clothing, jewellery.
- Please ensure you are appropriately insured (see above).
- Even if you don't decide to book a course with Climb GB it is always worth asking to see if the person you are booking with has appropriate insurance cover; so never feel afraid to ask - any professional instructor providing adventure activities should be more than happy to provide evidence of their liability insurance.
- Are you qualified?
Yes, we are qualified for the activities we are providing, this is as follows:
- Climbing, bouldering and scrambling courses; we are fully qualified Mountaineering and Climbing Instructor (MCI) award holders and full members of the Association of Mountaineering Instructors (AMI).
- Navigation and hill walking courses; we are fully qualified summer Mountain Leader (ML) award holders and full members of Mountain Training (MT).
- Winter courses; we are fully qualified winter Mountain Leader (MLW) award holders and full members of Mountain Training (MT).
- Even if you don't decide to book a course with Climb GB it is always worth asking to see if the person you are booking with is appropriately qualified; so never feel afraid to ask - any professional instructor providing adventure activities should be more than happy to provide evidence of their qualifications.
- Is there a minimum or maximum age?
We don't have a specific maximum or minimum age on any courses, however some courses are more suitable than others for people of differing ages and abilities. Please check with us if you are in any doubt about whether a course will be suitable.
We have had an 86 and 84 year old couple on courses before so age really shouldn't be the limiting factor!
We do require a parent or guardian attends sessions with under 18 year olds - although the parent or guardian does not have to actively participate in the session.
- Are courses suitable for people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities?
Just let us know in advance and we can tailor courses to individual needs.
Please check with us if you are in any doubt about whether a course will be suitable.
- Do you provide equipment?
We do not provide personal clothing or footwear however we do provide the specialist equipment required on each activity.
To see exactly what you will need to bring with and what Climb GB will provide then please see the equipment list for your respective course - listed under course essentials on every course.
- Do you provide transport?
We try to meet in locations where public transport is easily accessible, however if you are not able to reach the location then please get in touch as we are often able to provide local pick up from train stations etc.